Dental emergencies can be scary, especially if you don’t have a plan in place. It is important to note that dental emergencies can happen to anyone at any time, even patients with healthy teeth. In the case that you experience a dental emergency, it is important to contact your dentist and explain all of your symptoms in order for them to best guide on the next steps to take.
In this post, we will explore some of the most common dental emergencies and how to get one step closer to alleviating your symptoms and restoring your smile.
What is a dental emergency?
A dental emergency can be categorized as an issue involving the teeth, bone structure, or the connective tissue in the mouth. In all cases, a dental emergency should be handled by an experienced emergency dentist. If you are unsure of whether you are experiencing a dental emergency, you may want to consider these key questions:
- Do you have a dental infection?
- Are you experiencing severe swelling?
- Are you bleeding from the mouth?
- Do you have intense oral pain?
- Do you have a loose permanent tooth?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you might be dealing with a dental emergency that requires immediate attention. A skilled emergency dentist can help stop bleeding, alleviate pain, and reduce swelling.
Common Dental Emergencies
- Cracked or chipped tooth: If you crack or chip a tooth, gently rinse your mouth with warm water. If you are experiencing any swelling, it may be helpful to apply a cold compress to your cheek.
- Dental abscess: If left untreated, a dental abscess can lead to infections in other areas of your body. It is crucial to visit your dentist as soon as possible to receive the treatment you need.
- Knocked out tooth: In some cases, a knocked-out tooth may be reinserted; however, this will require quick action from both patient and dentist. If you can, carefully place the tooth back into the socket. If this is not possible, you can place the tooth in milk to preserve it while you make your way to the dentist.
It is important to note that the treatment you receive will depend on the severity of your case. At Morristown Cosmetic Dentistry, we work with each of our patients on an individual basis to deliver a personalized treatment plan that is right for you.
Emergency Dentist in Morristown, NJ
Are you searching for an emergency dentist in Morristown, New Jersey? Schedule a visit with Dr. Victor Gittleman of Morristown Cosmetic Dentistry. Dr. Gittleman is a respected dentist with many years of experience improving patient smiles. To explore your treatment options, call (973) 287-3337 or request an appointment online.